Do you have your own canoe, kayak or SUP and want to launch at Montford Bridge? Read on to find out how this works!
Montford Bridge to Shrewsbury is a lovely stretch of the River Severn and is perfect for a day trip. The route is just over 12 miles and is suitable for most paddlers when the river is at normal “summer” levels, i.e. between 0.5 – 2 metres on the Montford Bridge gauge.
If you would like to launch your own craft (canoe, kayak, stand-up paddle board) at our Montford Bridge site, that’s fine! You just need to be aware of a few things:
- You are welcome to use the steps and ramp that we have built and maintained but please be courteous and wait until we have finished launching any customers, do not block access, and be respectful to our staff.
- The canoe launch point is on private land, owned by the Wingfield Caravan Park.
- The access to the river is not a public footpath but the caravan park allow access over their land in return for a fee.
- There is a launch/landing fee of £1 per person, charged by the caravan park.
- The launch fee is payable in cash into the honesty box by the gate at the entrance to the field.
- Parking is not included in the launch fee because the field is sometimes used for camping, often by school groups, and when it isn’t, the campsite often need to cut the grass.
- However, you can sometimes arrange to park on the field by contacting the Wingfield Caravan Park.
- The main car park is owned by the pub and they are a separate business.
- Never block access to the gate onto the field; the gate is in constant use.
- Do not park/unload in the area between the “Private” sign and the gate onto the field—this is essentially the driveway of the two houses on the right.
- The portaloo at the top of the field is for the use of Hire a Canoe customers.
- The portaloo at the bottom of the field is for the use of campers at the Wingfield Caravan Park.
- There is a bus stop in Montford Bridge on the X5 bus route from Shrewsbury but there are no buses on Sundays.
The fee is £1 per person, payable to the caravan park.
The £1 per person launch fee is payable in cash into the honesty box by the gate at the entrance to the field.
From Montford Bridge, you can paddle approximately 12 miles downstream to Shrewsbury.